Required Documentation

As with most things in life you need to get your paperwork in order before you can get married.

  • When you give your notice of marriage you will need to produce proof or your identity and the identity of the person you intend to marry. A valid passport or birth certificate are the ideal documents. If you do not hold or are unable to produce a passport, other documents can often be accepted as proof of identity. Ask your register office for advice.
  • If either of you has been married before, either in this country or abroad, you will need to produce documents to show how your previous marriage ended.
  • If either of you divorced in England or Wales you will need the decree absolute (the final divorce paper) bearing the court’s original stamp.
  • If the divorce took place in a foreign country, they will need to see the original document issued in that country and the English translation, if the document is in a foreign language. If no documents were issued in the foreign country, they will tell you what they can accept as proof of the divorce.
  • If either of you is a widow or widower, they will need to see the death certificate of your former spouse from the registration authorities of the country where they died.
  • If you have changed your name by Deed Poll, Change of Name Deed or by Statutory Declaration these documents will need to be shown to the Superintendent Registrar.
  • If either of you are under 18 years of age the consent of your parents or guardians is required. If your parents are divorced, they may need to see the court order that gives custody to one of them. The Superintendent Registrar can advise you on this matter.