Getting Married in Antigua

antigua flag

Welcome to our guide to getting married in Antigua. Before you go into depth about the specifics for your wedding in Antigua we have a couple of articles that we suggest you read first.

UK residents wishing to marry in Antigua can have either a Civil Ceremony or a Religious Ceremony. But first both parties will need to visit the Ministry of Justice and Legal Affairs located on Lower Nevis Street in downtown

St. John’s. You will both be required to produce valid passports, and complete the application for a Special Licence, and pay the application fees. You will need to discuss the time and date you wish a Marriage Officer to perform the ceremony.

The Special Licence fee is US$150 payable at The Ministry of Legal Affairs, open Monday to Thursday, 8:30am to 4:30pm and on Friday from 8:00am to 3:00pm. A registration fee of US$40 should be made payable to the Courthouse in St John’s. The wedding ceremony can be preformed outside the Courthouse by a Marriage Office, at the additional cost of US$50.

Civil Ceremony

The legal and binding marriage ceremony can be conducted between the hours of 6am and 8pm. The ceremony can be preformed in the Registry office by the Registrar, Deputy Registrar or Assistant Registrar. If your wedding ceremony is to be held in another location it will be conducted by a Marriage Officer.

Religious Ceremony

Religious Ceremonies are legally recognised but may require special documents to be completed along with all the other appropriate documentation. If you intend to marry in a Roman Catholic Church you will need permission from the local priest where you intend to marry in Antigua. Contact your local priest in the UK to seek advice on what arrangements need to be made. They will be asked to provide proof that you have attend pre-nuptial consultations here in the UK.

Whatever the nature of your religious ceremony you should allow plenty of time so you can meet the necessary requires.

Residency Stay

There is no residency stay, so provided all your documentation is in order you can get married soon after stepping off the plane.

Basic Documentation

If you intend to marry in Antigua you will need the following documentation:

  • A valid 10 year passport, as proof of citizenship
  • An affidavits / statutory declaration confirming single status also know as a Certificate of Celibacy
  • Decree Absolute (the final divorce paper, if applicable)
  • Death Certificate (if you are a widow or widower)
  • Change of Name Deed (required if you have changed your name)
  • Written consent from your parents or guardians (if either of you are under 18 years of age)
  • If you have changed your name by Deed Poll or you were adapted, proof of this needs to be presented

For further information contact:

High Commission for Antigua and Barbuda

15 Thayer Street
Tel: 0207 486 7073



Whilst every effort to ensure that the above information is correct, it may be subject to change at any time. Please always check with the official authorities before proceeding. If you notice some outdated information please let us know.