Getting Married in Australia

australia flag

Welcome to our guide to getting married in Australia. Before you go into depth about the specifics for your wedding in Australia we have a couple of articles that we suggest you read first.

UK residences wishing to marry in Australia can do so provided all the necessary paperwork has been completed beforehand.

Marriage Ceremony

Couples can have their marriage ceremony conducted just about anywhere in Australia, whether it is a Civil Ceremony or a Religious Ceremony. You should discuss your marriage requires in advance with the Marriage Celebrant.

The Marriage Celebrant should have been sent the “Notice of Intended Marriage” once having been signed and witnessed, at least one month and one day prior to your wedding day.

Residency Stay

There is no residency requirements, so you could marry as soon as you step foot in Australia. Couples who wish to marry must be 18 years or over.

Basic Documentation

The basic documents you will require include:

  • A visa or Electronic Travel Authority (ETA (Visitor))

Your visa is valid for a maximum stay of three months in Australia. Anyone with a criminal convection maybe refused a visa 

  • A valid 10-year passport
  • An original full birth certificate
  • The “Notice of Intended Marriage”1 this is a form which should be obtained from the Australian High Commission before traveling
  • Decree Absolute (the final divorce paper, if applicable)
  • Death Certificate (if you are a widow or widower)
  • Change of Name Deed (required if you have changed your name)
  • Adoption certificate (if applicable)

The “Notice of Intended Marriage” form must be signed and witnessed in the presence of either:

  • An Australian Consular Office at the Australian High Commission in London where an application can be made between the hours of 9:30am to 11:30am, Monday to Friday excluding Public Holidays.
  • A UK Notary Public (a list of these can be found in the Yellow Pages or by contacting your nearest UK solicitor).

For further information contact:

Australian High Commission UK

High Commissioner: Mr R Alston
Tel: 0207 379 4334

Useful website for getting married in Australia >>

Australian Government site where you can apply for your travel visa or ETA online >>



Whilst every effort to ensure that the above information is correct, it may be subject to change at any time. Please always check with the official authorities before proceeding. If you notice some outdated information please let us know.