Mexico Wedding

mexico flag

Welcome to our guide to getting married in Mexico. Before you go into depth about the specifics for your wedding in Mexico we have a couple of articles that we suggest you read first.

UK residents wishing to marry in Mexico can have either a Civil Ceremony or a Religious Ceremony.

Civil Ceremony

The Civil Ceremony would be the cheaper of the two options, and is the only one legally recognised in under Mexican law. The ceremony is normally performed by the Registro Civil, at the local Civil Register Office (Office de Registro Civil). However for a further fee the ceremony can be performed in another location such as a hotel or local beach. You are required to have four witnesses present all of which need to be over 18 and have their identification (passports and travel permits, if applicable) with them. The ceremony will be conducted in Spanish in the presence of an interpreter, but you should confirm an interpreter will be present throughout your ceremony.

Religious Ceremony

Couples can have a Religious Ceremony although they will not be legally recognised as being ‘married’ under Mexican law unless they also hold a Civil Ceremony. At least one of the couple must make been baptised a Christian, for you to be eligible for a church wedding. You will also need to have informed the local parish priest at least 30 days in advance of your wedding day of that it is your intention to marry.

You are required to have two witnesses present both of which need to be over 18 and have their identification (passports and travel permits, if applicable) with them. The ceremony will be conducted in Spanish you will need to make arrangements for an interpreter to be present during the ceremony.

Residency Stay

There is no residency stay for foreign couples wanting to marry in Mexico but they are asked to arrive at least three working days before their wedding day. This is to ensure all necessary paperwork has been checked and processed, before you can be issued with a Marriage License. The length of time you have to wait for your Marriage License varies from one state to another.

If your wedding is being arranged by a wedding planner they may be able to shorten this period, therefore you should enquire about the possibility.

Blood Test

When you arrive in Mexico you will be required to have a blood test and may need to have a chest x-ray, again this is dependent on the state where you are getting married. The Civil Register Office can recommend a doctor or clinic. You will need to obtain a doctors certificate of the blood tests alternatively you can get a local doctor to certify your lab results. If you arrive in Mexico a few weeks before your wedding, be aware you can only have your blood tests a maximum of 15 days before your wedding day.  If you are having a wedding planner organise your wedding they can arrange for the hotel doctor to conduct the blood tests and issue the certificate for a fee. 

Marriage Certificate

Once the civil ceremony has been performed you will need to obtain a certified copy  of the Marriage Certificate (Acta de Matrimonio). You should then have the certificate “apostilled” whilst in Mexico so that your marriage is legally recognised on your return to the UK. The local registry office in Mexico or your wedding planner (if applicable) can offer you further advice on how to proceed. 

Once you have obtained your certified Marriage Certificate you will need to have it translated into English. Visit the British Embassy in Mexico City and have the certificate translated. Whilst you are there you can request the certificate then be forwarded by the British Consular to the General Register Office in the UK where it can be deposited. Read Wedding Abroad - Legal Consideration for further details.

Basic Documentation

The Basic documentation required for getting married in Mexico varies from one state to another. Generally you will need the following documentation:

  • A full birth certificate
  • A valid passport
  • A valid Mexican tourist permit (e.g. tourist cards, visas, FM3, FM2)
  • An affidavit declaring single status authorised by a notary or solicitor declaring eligibility for marriage
  • If divorced1 a Decree of Absolute and an affidavit declaring martial status and eligibility to marry
  • If widowed a spouses death certificate, previous marriage certificate and an affidavit authorised by a notary or solicitor declaring eligibility for marriage
  • If you have changed your name by Deed Poll or you were adapted, proof of this needs to be presented
  • If either of you are under 18 years of age you will need written consent from your parents or guardians, in the form of an affidavit authorised by a notary or a solicitor

All the above documentation must be translated into Spanish (with the exception of your passport and your tourist permit), when you arrive in Mexico, by a registered translator. Alternatively if the translation is done in the UK, this translation will need to be notorised by your nearest Mexican Consulate and then “apostilled”.

All documents needing to be “apostilled” must be sent to
The Legalisation Department Foreign and Commonwealth Office, London

1 Divorced women are not eligible to marry again until one full year after their divorce has been finalised. This law may vary from one state to the next.


For further information contact:

The Legalisation Office

Foreign and Commonwealth Office
Old Admiralty Building
Tel: 0207 008 1111

Mexican Consulate to the UK

8 Halkin St
Tel: 0207 235 6393

British Embassy

Consular Section
Río Usumacinta 26
Col Cuauhtémoc
06500 México DF

Tel: (+52) (55) 5242-8500

Useful website
Embassy of Mexico in the UK



Whilst every effort to ensure that the above information is correct, it may be subject to change at any time. Please always check with the official authorities before proceeding. If you notice some outdated information please let us know.