Thailand Wedding

thailand flag

Welcome to our guide to getting married in Thailand. Before you go into depth about the specifics for your wedding in Thailand we have a couple of articles that we suggest you read first.

UK residences wishing to marry in Thailand can do so provided all the necessary paperwork has been completed beforehand.

Marriage Ceremony

There is a great deal of flexibility with where couples can hold their marriage ceremony such as the District Office, a white sandy beach, a garden, a church or perhaps even a Buddhist temple. However, only a Civil Ceremony which has been registered with the Registrar at the District Office (Amphur Office) will be legally recognised under Thai Law, and therefore be legal under UK law. So, if you are planning a religious ceremony you should arrange for it to take place only after the Civil Ceremony has been preformed.

Residency Stay

You will need to arrive 3-5 days before your wedding day to finalise all the paperwork. It might be advisable to hire the services of a lawyer, who is familiar with the marriage proceedings in Thailand, this can often help speed up the process, particularly when it comes to the need for translation.

Basic Documentation

The basic documents you will require include:

  • A 30-day tourist visa.
  • A valid 10-year passport.
  • An original full birth certificate.
  • Decree Absolute (the final divorce paper, if applicable).
  • Death Certificate (if you are a widow or widower).
  • Change of Name Deed (required if you have changed your name).
  • Adoption certificate (if applicable).
  • If either of you are under 17 years of age you will need to be granted permission from the court in order to marry.

  • /ul>

    You should travel will both a copy and the original documents listed above – carry them in separate bags.. just in case!

    Obtaining your Marriage License

    On arriving in Bangkok you and your partner must visit the British Embassy in person and make an affidavit, declaring that you are both single and free to marry. You will need to bring your documents with you. The affidavit should then be translated into the Thai language. The Embassy are unable to translate the affidavit, however either your tour operator could arrange this or a lawyer. Once the document has been translated the original affidavit, along with the translation, should be brought back to the embassy where they can be notarised by a Consulate Official.

    The signature of the Consulate, on both the affidavit and the translation, must be authenticated by the appropriate officials at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Once this is done the Ministry of Foreign Affairs will issue you will a marriage license which enables you to marry in any District Office in Thailand. You will need to pay administrative fees to both the British Embassy and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs for the use of their services.

    Obtaining your Marriage Certificate

    Once you have your marriage license you can visit any District Office and submit your license along with your other documents to the Registrar. The Registrar will then register your marriage and issue you with a Marriage Certificate in Thai. You should make arrangements to have an interpreter present if you or your partner do not speak Thai.

    Following the registration of your marriage you should inquire as to how the Marriage Certificate can be properly authenticated. Once the document has been authenticated you will also need to provide a translation of the marriage certificate in English. (If you are getting married with the help of a wedding planner this will often be included in the service, or will be offered for a fee). You marriage certificate can then be given to the British Embassy in Thailand, who in turn will forward the certificate to the Registrar General in the UK, nearest to where you both live.

    Your marriage will not be registered in the UK, your marriage certificate will simply be deposited for their records, and consequently your original marriage certificate will not be returned to you. This in no way makes your marriage in invalid. Should you both need your marriage certificate in the future the General Register Office can issue you with a copy.


    For further information contact:

    British Embassy

    14 Wireless Road
    Bangkok 10330
    Tel: +66 02 350 8333
    Website: British Embassy Bangkok

    Ministry of Foreign Affairs

    Sri Ayudhya Road
    Bangkok 10400
    Tel: (662) 643 5000
    Website: Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Kingdom of Thailand

    The Official Website for Tourism in Thailand >>




    Whilst every effort to ensure that the above information is correct, it may be subject to change at any time. Please always check with the official authorities before proceeding. If you notice some outdated information please let us know.